One of the things I learned in my beginner's photography course last year, is that strong diagonals add strength and attraction to the composition of a photograph.
I can't say that I particularly think about when I'm taking a photo, but I have noticed that most of the photos I've taken that I really like do indeed have a strong diagonal.
Like this one, entitled "Shelter", featuring Angelika my Feeple65 Angela, and Leo, a Soom Ender;
I've just realized that I never posted pictures of my banner lady!
Here she is; Dollmore Tattoo Socheon, given the name of Xochilt (pronounced So-cheel) by my friend Bren.
Yes, she is tattooed ALL over her body. They are beautiful. The tattoos are inscribed into the resin surface, and then inked.
Edit: I should add that the tattoos must have been inscribed on the model from which she was cast. Ten copies of each of this model (colour scheme) were made, and she is the second model. There are two more models after her. The black colour appears to have been brushed into the incisions with just the coloured portions being painted. That's still a lot of work! And the original model was painted all over.
To me, she is embodiment of joy and Spring. She is photographed here with spring flowers from my garden, photographed in October, I think.
Spot the unicorn...
When a Rexy in the pre-2014 peach gold resin recently came up for sale on the DenofAngels marketplace, I couldn't resist swooping in and buying her. I've always liked the Rexy sculpt, and I love the old peach gold resin colour, such a lovely warm honey gold.
I've assigned her in my character gallery to be Griffin's sister. She's wearing an EID-size wig which is a bit slippery on her head (needs a silicon cap) but which suits her admirably.
Her beautiful vibrant cardigan is from Theworldofdolls Etsy store.
She certainly is a cutie!
This is what the trial jacket looks like now - with the front constructed properly.
Now I need to create convincing-looking pockets. My tailoring skills are not up to creating real pockets. And I need to consider how best to add lining and put on the collar.
What I really meant to be doing was creating a "Prince Charlie" jacket for Griffin, to create a formal "Scottish" look.
Along the way I tried up-scaling Oriole Adam-Harris' "Brummel" pattern for old Iplehouse YID boy to SID men's size, but I didn't do a good job of it; so I decided to try first to downscale a lekala modern men's jacket pattern.
As usually happens, I got so engrossed in this project, that now I'm going to create a nice suit for Claude/Vincent before getting back to the Prince Charlie jacket...
Oh yes, meet Claude...
Actually he's just a head... I bought him from Bren, and he's going to be sharing Vincent's body.
It certainly saves on closet storage space!
I tried touching up the Iplehouse Addiction human Claude face-up a bit - basically just adding a bit of cheek blush and lip colour, but I was far too timid. It doesn't really add much.
However, hopefully I will get a commission slot and be able to send him off soon to become a sun-kissed surfer dude. With a slick side. One that wears a suit.
This is lekala pattern #6017. I corrected the construction of the front so that it now naturally falls open as a tailored men's jacket should. This is just a "muslin" or trial garment anyway.
A tailor, I am not, most definitely. But I hope I can get this jacket looking nice enough to actually photograph eventually.
And then I can return to the Prince Charlie jacket...
Iplehouse have set up a contest running over May to July 2015 to create our photo-stories to slot into their "Carved Heritage" sculpt/story series.
It'll be fun seeing what people come up with!
I assisted DoA and i-mag-i-nation forum member Bren with her entry in the competition by supplying a pic of Edan, and by adding digital backgrounds to her photos.
The photo-story can be seen here (one needs to be registered on the Iplehouse site to have access);
link to story
I'm supposed to be kitting everyone out for Winter but instead I find myself trialling downsizing pdf sewing patterns for real people for use with BJDs.
I'm still working on the methodology for downscaling, but it's working pretty well so far.
This is maxi-dress lekala pattern #5190 being modelled by Tiare, my Iplehouse SID Mari;
What a pretty doll she is!
I gave the skirt a train, and lifted it up at the front to display her newly blushed toenails.
Hmm... I don't know whether it's a good look or not....
I did have to adjust the bodice pattern a bit as I omitted the bands from the pattern and just substituted ribbons hand-sewn over the top. The fabric is a pretty crepe, which drapes beautifully.
I decided to do a second tranche, and by the time I'd collected all the spare women's hands and feet I had had many to do as the first tranche!
And there are more men's hands and feet to do!
They'll probably have to wait until Spring, as Winter in Auckland is horribly wet and chilly - not exactly ideal conditions for laying down coats of sealer.
I normally use watercolour pastel for blushing skin and nails, and a little white acrylic paint to create a "French manicure". I finish with gloss acrylic varnish for the ladies and satin gloss for the gents. I'm aiming for a natural look.
The production line;
Looking pretty darn good, if I do say so myself...
Lucky me - DE enjoyed The Bachelor contest so much she sent me red and multi-colour speedos for Luc and Ethan, and surf boardshorts in a lovely flamingo pattern!
Since I already had a pretty pink polka-dot swimsuit for SID woman from DE's Etsy store DEWear, it was the perfect opportunity to introduce Tiare to the i-mag-i-nation forum, and thank DE at the same time!
Ethan (Iplehouse Edan is real skin, Taire (Mari) is new peach gold, and Luc (Vincent) is light brown resin.
Based in New Zealand, I've been a collector of ball-jointed dolls since 2011.